Be still my geeky heart...

This is not an actor from one of the Predator films - this is a fan who was willing to invest a lot of money...

I have always loved the Predator movies, and the release of Alien vs Predator has rekindled my nerdy obsession with the Yautja (that's what the Predators call themselves in their language). Like most sci-fi/fantasy nerds, I have entertained fantasies of dressing up like my favorite characters (my short list of wanted costumes includes Klingon Warrior, Rebel Alliance Pilot, and Gimli the dwarf). Even though I loved (and identified with) the Yautja, I never even considered the Predator Young Blood (that's what they call those on their first serious hunt) because it just looked too difficult. Over the years, I tried to satisfy myself with reading a few Predator comic books and watching the movies repeatedly.

Well, no more.

At last, there are several houses that build and sell Predator costumes. Prices vary widely - the complete costume shown above would run about $72,000 - but most fans build reasonable costumes for a couple hundred. Despite being a starving student, I am seriously considering purchasing a few pieces and starting on a basic costume. I am such a dork.

This place has some very nice costume parts - masks, hands, helmets, etc.

These guys sell a resin cast of the smart disc weapon...

And then there is this shop, for the discriminating (and well funded) costume nerd who wants the very best (this is the place that made the full rig at the top of the post). The helmet has an operational laser sight, the shoulder mounted gun is pyrotechnic capable, and the wrist blade is powered by a pneumatic cylinder. The ultimate in sci-fi con apparel. If I ever win the lottery...

So, who's hosting the Halloween party this year?


Hello ladies...

0 comments:

Post a Comment