Blog Pressure

Mr. Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain) once said, "I only write when I am inspired. And I see to it that I am inspired every morning at eight." I always figured that this dedication was spurred on by some remnant of the Protestant work ethic, or simple economic need. As I am not a Twain scholar, I have no idea which it was, but either is an excellent motivator for a writer.

Alas, I have neither; I am an inherently lazy recovering Catholic who lives on student loans and a bit of familial generosity. Actually, I am a ward of the State - before each semester I go to the office of Financial Aid, hold out my bowl like Oliver Twist and say, "Could I have some more please?"

Blogging started as an outlet for humor, and a vent for my spleen. "In the beginning, I was funny, and it was good." I figured I'd come to the blog whenever I wanted to, rant for a bit, and be done with it. Then came my Ordination, and suddenly a Sunday Sermon became mandatory (contrary to popular belief, being a Minister is a tough job - it's not all eye make-up and tax breaks ya' know...)

Just as I was adjusting to this added responsibility, Big Gay Jim (my twin brother by another mother) ups the ante. In pleasant conversation (well, it was pleasant if your name is not Abra) he casually mentions that "SOMEone" hadn't posted since Sunday. It's not so much what he said, but how he said it - it was like being verbally bitchslapped by a younger, larger version of Nathan Lane...

So here I am, with no real topic, posting about not posting. Metablogging. Damn you, Locutus of Blog...

0 comments:

Post a Comment