Bring the Pain

"Pain is just weakness leaving the body."

Despite the scientific inaccuracy of that statement, I have always liked the image. I also like the idea that it is weakness, not sweat, that pours off me when I workout. Of course, that goes hand in hand with the idea that the pudge around my midsection is made of weakness, not a thick layer of Taco Bell and Pizza Hut...

At any rate, there is a lot of pain in my world these days. I'm not complaining, mind you, just making an observation. My workout schedule has been hampered a bit the last few days due a slight back injury, but I have still managed to get my runs in and do kettlebells on the off days. I'm not hitting the bells as much as I'd like, but I am still getting a good sweat from them and a hard burn in my arms, shoulders, and legs. And that equates to pain. I usually wake up feeling stiff, and able to pinpoint exactly where the previous day's workout hit me hardest. Lately it's been my shoulders and my forearms, but kettlebells are an equal opportunity torture device, and I have woken up hurting just about everywhere at some point in the last few weeks.

Some of the Faithful, especially the lovely and caring ladies of the local Flock, have expressed concern that I rarely move without a groan, and my joints sound like a vigorously squeezed sheet of bubble wrap when I stand up. Do not be troubled - I am good with the pain. Pain, is my friend.

Over the years, I have become very adept at knowing the difference between the "that just hurts because you used it" pain and the "if you keep fucking with it, it will never heal" kind of pain. One builds you, the other keeps you in check. One you can avoid but shouldn't, the other you should avoid, but can't. That leaves you with two choices - continue and get hurt, or quit and fail to progress - which is really only one choice, now isn't it?

Like so many lessons learned in the gym, this transitions to other arenas of life very nicely. Pain is inevitable unless you hole up and quit. Holing up and quitting is not really an option, so get on with the pain. In fact, to live fully, to live large, you have to court the pain. Seek it out, and ram right into it, full speed ahead, and no fair dodging!

At the risk of this turning into a rousing locker room speech, I'll stop - whipping you all into a froth would just turn ugly once happy hour arrived, and who wants that on their conscience?

2 comments:

Regis said...

Man, and I could use a good frenzy right about now...

Teh Dr. said...

the pain has been brungt or whatever. I'd say we do a fair amount of hurting ourselves, I mean removing weakness.

Post a Comment