Savage Weiner

Last week, talk radio host Michael Savage got banned from the U.K. The radio personality was placed on a blacklist by the British Home Office as a “hate promoter,” and barred from entering the United Kingdom legally. In my opinion, Savage has been placed where he belongs, in the company of other hate-mongers like White Supremacist leader Stephen Donald Black, Neo-Nazi Erich Gliebe, Russian Skinhead gangsters Artur Ryno and Pavel Skachevsky, and that perennial Laramie favorite, anti-Gay activist Fred Phelps and his reprehensible spawn of a daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper.

Now, I’d be pissed too if I was lumped in with these hateful bastards, but then again, I’ve never gone on the air and repeatedly called the Koran “a book of hate” like Mr Savage has – but let’s use his real name; Michael Weiner (hee hee). Yeah – like Oscar Mayer - that’s really his name. It couldn’t be better if I made it up myself. I can’t believe the British tabloids didn’t run with the headline “Home Office Closes Door on Weiner.”

OK, his given name is funny, but to be fair, some pronounce it like “Whiner”… which is funny in it’s own way. Ironic to hear someone who had no plans to go to the U.K. suddenly whining about his new banned status. If anything, this publicity has only endeared him even more to his crazy-ass-hate-everybody-and-everyone-not-like-me listeners. Weiner, Whiner - whatever, both is appropriate.

You might be wondering what kind of statements got Mr. Weiner in trouble, exactly? Well, here are a few choice ones…

"You know, when I see a woman walking around with a burqa, I see a Nazi."
He topped that little gem off with, “some Muslims, at least, need deportation.”

As if that isn’t bad enough, he recently took on Autism. On air he stated that the rise in diagnoses of autism was "a racket" designed to get disability payments for "poorer families who have found a new way to be parasites on the government." He also said that in 99 per cent of the cases, autism is "a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out." What kind of Weiner picks on kids with Autism?!

Given his history of inflammatory statements like these, the U.K. has wisely told us to keep our Weiner to ourselves, and Mr. Whiner is upset. This week, he stated that he has heard from British attorneys who are - and I quote - “salivating to set the record straight and win quite a large settlement” on his behalf. I hope this is true, so the headlines can read, “Lawyers Drooling Over Weiner.”

For me, the real issue here is not that an American broadcaster has been banned from the U.K. – it’s that Michael Savage has been saying ignorant bigoted, racist, things on the air for the last 15 years, but somehow only the British seemed to notice. What does this say about American radio audiences? Perhaps we are the real wieners here.

I do hope Mr. Whiner files suit, and becomes embroiled in a protracted legal battle that drags his hate-mongering ass out into the light of day – so we can all see this little Weiner at his full measure.

4 comments:

Raksha said...

Jeez, what a jackass. Weiner, I mean. Not you. I'm curious, what has been the listener response to your on-air rants thus far? I'd be surprised if this one didn't get a few emails or phone calls, as I'm sure Mr. Dickweed has quite a few fans in Laramie.

In other news, my new Total Doctor Who Immersion approach to life has somehow resulted in my listening to a bunch of Billie Piper's old pop songs in the background while I do my usual internet stuff. They're damn catchy and she is so cute with her natural dark hair! PLEASE SEND HELP.On a related note: I miss the '90s.

Linus said...

The listener response has been pretty positive actually. Based on the kind of music Meg plays, the listeners are pretty much our people by the time I hit the air...

As for your "Total Doctor Who Immersion approach to life" I applaud your decision. You must be ready when the Tardis lands on your patio!

(cue informercial voice)
The TDWI approach to life has helped millions of British nerds, and now you can use this same proven system in the privacy of your own home! (/informercial voice)

Raksha said...

"You must be ready when the Tardis lands on your patio!"It's going to happen! Any day now, just you wait and see.

However, in the meantime I suppose I wouldn't mind the occasional "lengthy interrogation" by a certain charming, if occasionally emo, alien investigator based in Cardiff.


In other news: I approve of your new profile pic! Ajax is cute and all, but you two don't actually look all that much alike. ;)

Raksha said...

In other other news: The Blogger "preview" button is a motherfucking liar. That's the second time in a row that it showed no formatting error on the preview that then showed up when it was posted. TRUTH FAIL.

Post a Comment