The Vow

I meditated for about 15 minutes on Monday morning, and for 20 minutes this morning. My legs are quite stiff from my workouts yesterday so it was a bit tough to get into my meditation posture (I sit in what they call "Burmese"), but once I got settled on my cushions it wasn't too bad. I hope some of you are considering joining the Big Sit. It's a very small chunk out of your day, but I guarantee that you will see a change in your mental state if you give it an honest try. I have gotten out of the habit of meditating many times, and every time I return to it I am amazed by the clarity and peace it gives me.

The staff at Tricycle are trying to make the Big Sit as much like a monastic experience as they can. They have weekly Dharma talks online, numerous Zen teachers available that you can ask questions of, and they have even created a generic set of vows that you can customize to suit your situation, level of experience, and goals.


click pic to enlarge

I took some time yesterday to make a set of my own vows for the Big Sit. A lot of Americans see vows as limitations, or rules that you can't break. A better way to look at it would be to see vows as the structure of your life. If you take a vow, for instance, to stop smoking, then that vow is a pillar that you can lean on when you really want a cigarette. It supports you, and provides a backbone for you when yours might turn to jelly. Buddhist or otherwise, everyone should have a set of vows like this to rely on.

Body
I will restore my body by getting to bed no later than 12:00 every night.
I will nourish my body by following the Warrior Diet.
I will honor my body by listening to it and responding more appropriately to minor injuries.

Mind
I will work with my mind by meditating daily for 20 minutes.
I will study the Genjokoan by listening to the Dharma talks online, and comparing different translations.

Spirit
I will renew my spirit by joining the discussion on the Tricycle Forums (being around others who share my world view).
I will strengthen my spirit by sharing this with others.

Make a set for yourself. They don't have to be patterned after these - feel free to create vows that are relevant and important to you. You can also post them here in comments if you wish...

3 comments:

Raksha said...

That's awesome that your meditation is going so well! I hope you can find some other people who are interested in joining you.

Remember those three books you lent me waaaay back, the last time I came to see you? Yeah, I'm reading them now because I'm going to send them back to you with your ChristmaHannuKwaanzaRohatsuYule/Lupercalia/Birthday stuff. I'm really glad it works for you, but more and more I'm convinced that I've found the right religious path for me. I am Pagan to the core, yo. Transcendental-type religions hold absolutely zero appeal for me and I would rather hang from the World Tree twice a week and give up both my eyes than meditate on a regular basis. I guess there really is no such thing as "one size fits all."

Kate said...

I'm not Buddist, but I've decided to give this a try.

So far, I missed Monday, having not yet decided to do it. Tuesday was crazy and I managed 6-7 mins before my feet fell asleep on me.

This is a very nice way to relax and unwind, and also to focus on aspects of myself I too easily overlook.

Marougal said...

I really like this idea. Since I get up at 5:15 every morning I think I might try meditating for a little bit each day. It just might help with my stress levels.

Post a Comment