Almost In

So... I've been accepted, sort of. Barring anything going stupid, I will be spending a lot of time in the building to the right, Ross Hall (home of the Sociology Department).

My undergrad adviser has told me that I'm in. The grad adviser has said, "there shouldn't be any problem" with my admission.... but I don't have that letter in my hand yet.

The letter is important; it, and a few keystrokes that change my status at the Registrar's office are required to unlock my federal funding. Until I have that letter, there is still the chance that I will be denied due to some damn loophole. Not a good feeling.

Despite that, I have enrolled in the graduate classes that my advisor suggested for me. I think the people who write catalog entries for grad classes go out of their way to make the class sound as terrifying and time consuming as possible. Observe:

SOC 4500. Sociology of Organizations.
Considers questions of organizational structure, decision-making, work situation and organizational environment across various types of industrial settings and cultures. Emphasizes transactions between organizations and their various environments and effects of these transactions for program implementation, as well as understanding of organizational effectiveness in terms of rational, institutional and societal perspectives.


I'm a good student. When I am actually interested in the topic, I am one of the best students around. In spite of this, I'm a little worried about my classes for next semester. It's a pleasant sort of anxiety, accompanied by a sense of finally getting back in the groove. I never really adapted to being just a working person.

Studying is really my vocation; I just work to fund the studying. Actually, financial aid funds the studying, so I guess I really just work for pizza money...

14 comments:

Mayren said...

so you are almost in grad school in Laramie?

Teh Dr. said...

FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC.

Linus said...

Mayren,

Indeed. I am still applying to Baylor, but UW is my insurance policy...

Unknown said...

How are we going to run away together and save the world if you're in grad school?

Mayren said...

good for the insurance policy babes, It sounds like even though you have a love/hate relationship with Laramie that truly the Flock Hall family may not be something you're willing part company with.
I know you guys will be life-long friends but regardless of circumstance, but it was so recently that everyone came together under one roof right?
(well the 2.0 version)

Linus said...

WNG,

Wait - We are running away together?! I have until the the 24th of January to drop my classes without hurting my transcript... :)

Mayren,
The original Flock Hall began in the early summer of 2005, with Squid, Fleur, Kram, Corley, and me. We lived there through the summer of 2006, and various other Flock members also lived with us at times. Raksha stayed for 6 about weeks before going off to Ohio to grad school. G-Fresh technically lived in the dorms, but she slept at FH about three nights per week. Sometimes Caitiedid would spend the night, as did others like Hot Julia and Benny K. It was a crazy, messy, party house, and we all loved it.

We all split up for a year - and it wasn't all that great to live alone. The new cast of characters (we added G-Fresh and Flynn, and lost Corley) moved into Flock Hall 2.0 in the summer of 2007.

This version of the Hall is somewhat cleaner and less crazy. We have gatherings, but (thankfully) not like the parties of old. We are all growing up... even me (finally).

Unknown said...

WEll not NOW that you forgot all about it we're not. Have fun in Grad School.
Whatever.
:-<

Linus said...

WNG,

Wait! I didn't forget - I uh...

I had a head injury!
My memory was erased by the Men in Black!
I encountered a temporal flux while
I was traveling with the Doctor...?

(She's not buying it. Damn it.)

Mayren said...

Ok Flock Hall History is now secure...
The basic question i should have asked was; Where do you preferr to go to grad school?

Emily said...

my advice: don't try to read everything. it's just not possible. i tried to read everything. i barely survived my first semester. good luck!

Unknown said...

Papal mind games r fun!

Linus said...

Mayren,
I love my Flock here, but I'm still keeping my options open for Baylor and other schools. Notre Dame is a possibility, as is Claremont. It depends on what each has to offer, and how I feel about this program when it's time to consider the offers of others. I am likely to make a trip to Waco to look at the Baylor campus in February...

Emily,
I gave this same advice to Raksha when she was going crazy at OSU - I promise I will skim accordingly!

WNG,
You're actually quite evil... I think that's why I like you so much. :)

Unknown said...

When I get tired of beingthe Papal Muse I like to style myself the Papal Minx :)

Linus said...

"Papal Minx" - rawr...

Post a Comment