Are They People?

I'd like to redirect the discussion of speciesism to the concept of Great Ape Personhood (GAP). Proponents hold that the hominid apes (including chimps, gorillas, bonobos, and orangutans) should be treated as persons under the law, with limited rights. Due in part to pressure from groups supporting great ape personhood, a ban on research using great apes is in effect in the Netherlands, New Zealand, Great Britain, Sweden, Germany, and Japan.

Interesting ideas related to this topic can be found at the following sites:

Great Ape Status of Personhood - GRASP

The Great Ape Project

Project R&R - Release and Restitution for Chimpanzees in Research.

Famous Apes

Chantek, the First Orangutan Person
and Ambassador of the Rain Forest

I have mixed feelings on this topic. It seems that the proponents of GAP have some valid points, but I also wonder if it is the best move strategically. Fighting for the rights of certain species individually rather than advocating for all animals might backfire in a legal sense. What does the Flock think?

10 comments:

Modig said...

I love monkeys!





That is all.

Linus said...

Oh Brendon... (sigh)
Not monkeys - apes. Apes have no tails, most monkeys have tails. Like your sister.



:)

Ben Corley said...

From previous posts comments:

modig_bjorn said...


Oooooo.....SNAP!

Modig said...

Why can't we be accpeting of all primates? I'd much rather have a poo-flinging, clepto monkey than a bonobo. %WTF is a bonobo?% Granted, I'm not well in the head, but I am still entitled to my own preferences, absurd as they may be.


K, this is just getting silly. LOL!

Linus said...

The bonobo (Pan Paniscus) is just a small chimpanzee (like your sister). They call them pygmy chimps, or sometimes even "gracile" chimps.

Tessa K. said...

i think i am more of an animal rights person, rather than breaking it down into species - isn't that just one more form of prejudice? haha my species is better than your - i am sure that koko could sign it - and then we will have to have equal animal opportunity laws - there are just too many places this could become absurd... oh, wait ... why doesn't everybody just be nice to all the animals, huh?

Modig said...

Because I F%CKING HATE SNAKES! That is why! I love animals, but I F%CKING HATE SNAKES!

Ben Corley said...

I say we give the animal guns and science labs... just to make it fair.

Linus said...

Gorillas with guns!? Have we learned nothing from Planet of the Apes!?

Modig said...

"Dr. Zeus, Dr. Zeus!
Dr. Zeus!
Dr. Zeus, Dr. Zeus!
Dr. Zeus!
Dr. Zeus, Dr. Zeus!
Oh, oh Dr. Zeus! Rock me Dr. Zeus!"

Post a Comment