Animal Disapproval

Anyone who has ever shared their life with a companion animal knows that at times they disapprove of us. That is not to say that they stop loving us, but rather that they love us in spite of our obvious shortcomings...


"I'm Latte, and I disapprove of this message."

Ajax the WonderGrey frequently tells me of his disapproval - when I laugh too loudly while on the phone he will often say "No" in a very stern, authoritative voice (I wonder where he learned that...). Gandalf the White (the elderly ferret I addopted recently - more on that in a later post) usually shows his disapproval of me by dragging one of my shoes into the next room and hiding it. I believe this is an attempt to keep me from leaving the house until I shape up and behave in a fashion more acceptable to his delicate ferret sensibilities.

I once had an American Eskimo who would simply ignore my presence when she disapproved of me. She would still follow commands - she was far too serious about obedience trials to actually disobey - but she could do all of the AKC exercises without even making eye contact with me. Her irritation with me was nearly palpable.

My Jack Russell would give out a sigh that spoke volumes on her disgust with me, especially when I was trying to get her to come out from under the covers to go outside in the wee hours of the morning. My ex-wife had a Saint Bernard who would put on the most mournful face whenever she saw a slicker brush...

If you've never had a disapproving pet, I endorse it most heartily. It keeps one grounded and stifles all manner of hubris. Until recently, my recommendation for those seeking the ultimate in animal disdain would have been cats - they're terribly proficient at gazing down upon their human slaves with utter disrelish - but that was before I discovered the Disapproving Rabbits.

Ordinarily, I'd be tempted to write my own captions, but the woman who maintains this site is top notch - the captions are hers. Clearly, she has been disapproved of by many animals, and she has a remarkable grasp of animal disgust.


"Hazel: the rabbit that disapproved of Christmas."


"Nope, no sir, I don't like it."

That last one is very nearly my favorite. It is a fitting lead-in to "The Many Disapprovals of Cinnamon." Cinnamon is a veritable dynamo of disapproval. Click here to experience the full power of a withering bunny glare...

8 comments:

K said...

Sorry that you don't know me and I'm probably annoying by being a stranger leaving comments...I clicked the "Next blog" botton by mistake...

Anyway, your bunny is freakin' sweet!! Awe, man...It's adorable.

Course he's got nothing on my rats...

Bunnys!! Very cute!

Big Gay Jim said...

Does make me mental that I kind of want a rabbit now? Of course, Turbo and Reese don't approve of ANOTHER creature in the house. That weirdo in the kilt is MORE than enough.

Linus said...

Thanks for stopping by mc katie. Maybe next time you'll actually read the post instead of just looking at the pictures...

(Was that too bitchy? I can never tell.)

Raksha said...

Like Pookie (my cat companion from ages 2 to 22), my current cat companion Evie disapproves vocally. Loudly. And constantly. She's always talking to herself or me anyway, but when there's anything she doesn't like (even a little), her voice takes on this urgent, infuriated tone and her meows become more and more drawn out.

My mom's cats disapprove pretty humorously. Rainbow frowns, much like the disapproving bunnies. Baby disapproves by crying piteously in a tiny, heartbreaking voice. The manipulative little bitch.

My mom had a German Shepard named Kira for many years whose disapproval was also pretty funny. She would groan and talk to herself under her breath or she would snap her teeth in your direction (in a completely non-threatening, yet obviously irritated manner). Funny stuff.

Modig said...

Is it too late to remake the Godfather trilogy with an entire cast of bunnies?

Linus said...

Change the caption on that last one to, "I'm gonna' make you and offer you can't refuse..."

sivartkram said...

that was some funny shit.... wow.

a much needed laugh

thanks

Kate said...

dogs get embarrassed and do a better job expressing it than any human because they have ears to mess around with.

not that it fits the disapproval theme, but sometimes the dogs get embarrassed for us. a gentle form of rebuke. Less stern than the bunnies. (Or you talking to that mckatie.)

Post a Comment