A New Semester

Hopefully, this is my final semester of coursework at UW. I am enrolled in two seminars; Sociobiology and Advanced Research Methods. Both look to be great classes, with excellent instructors. I'm also the Graduate Assistant for Sociology of Gender. I'll be lecturing a bit in that class, so that should be a good time.

The first week of classes is always a time of adjustment. This semester, however, has been more lumpy than usual. I am not as organized as I'd like to be, and I've already missed a workshift because of it. I'm not sure why this semester has gotten off to a rougher start than usual, but here is a partial list of the stressors that come to mind...

I have a metric fuckton of reading to do for my seminars
I want to keep up on my workout schedule
I want to maintain my morning meditation schedule
I am trying to eat a better diet
I want to find time for writing, both academic and this blog
I feel like I should be more politically active (I want universal Health Care!)
I want to get as much done on my thesis research as possible
I need to get enough sleep to stay healthy

The past few days have gone by in a blur, and I feel like I haven't gotten much done. To alleviate that feeling I've spent the last few hours getting all the articles for my seminars downloaded and put into folders, and I've also been getting my Google Calendar loaded with all my assignments. I feel simultaneously better and overwhelmed. Seeing the work all spread out before me like that is daunting, but it also removes the need for concious thought. I know what is to be done each day, without wasting any cerebral resources on it.

As for this blog, I am not certain what will be appearing on here. I have, however, decided that it is time for another poll - see the right sidebar.

2 comments:

Ducky said...

Beginning of the semester is always bumpy for me. Until I get into the swing of my schedule I feel disorientated and stressed. Your schedule will work itself out, don't worry. You may just have to prioritize.

Raksha said...

Bleh. Sorry things are off to a rough start. The start of a new semester is never fun. You know, they say there are three things you can do in college: study, sleep, and have a social/private life. And of course, you can only do two of those successfully during any given semester. This is one of those things that turn out to actually be less funny because it's true.

But this might cheer you up: Season 3 of The Guild is starting! Evil Wil Wheaton in a kilt!

Post a Comment